Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia - Need help
Don't you just hate bay doors with no windows?
Quote:Aerial 1

1976 Ford C8000/Alleghany/Pierce with a 85' Snorkel. 1000 gpm with no water tank. Pierce Job number 8926-C. Interesting variety of manufacturers were used on this Snorkel.

As I recall from when I shot it years ago, it's Ford/Pierce/Snorkel that was refurbed by Allegheny.
I was staying overnight in Beverly, West VA and arrived their mid afternoon.

I accidently found a very unique fire department in West Virginia that Kent Parrish had done an article on in FAJ back in 2006. He also had one of their unique snorkel's on the cover of his Grumman book (highly recommended). As soon as I passed the station and saw some black apparatus, I knew who this FD was - Bradley-Prosperity.

I will say this - I have been photographing apparatus for a number of years - this ranks in my top 5 of most unusual. The apparatus are unique, one might stay the station is just as unique. They just do things a bit different here in terms of raising funds, etc.

Unfortuantley, I was not able to photograph all of the apparatus. Some were out of service mechanically, and others were at a sub-station that I was told no one would be there at that time. Late last year, this FD had to shut down and sell one of their stations because of financial difficulties. They now operate two stations, and I was able to visit their main station. I will have to make a return trip next time I am in the area.

First up is one of two Seagrave rehabs that were previously ex-FDNY ladder trucks.

Engine 2 is a 1991 Seagrave LP-09DF/2002 Advantage. 2000/2500/30 with Seagrave s/n Y75636.

Unfortunately, their other Seagrave tanker (similar) was out of service with mechanical issues and would not start.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
While most of the apparatus at Bradley-Prosperity is black, there are several trucks not painted in that color, including Attack 1.

I believe this was a demonstrator pumper, and the VFD picked it up from Canada.

Attack 1

2002 Sterling Acterra/Fort Garry 1250/1000

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I found Engine 4 interesting because it is similar to an engine we run in Ashburn, Virginia.

Bradley-Prosperity's Engine 4 is a 1998 Spartan Gladiator/Smeal 1250/1000. s/n 895190.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Bradley-Prosperity, and last from this trip, is Rescue 1, a 2001 Ford F550/Hackney.

Maybe Kent could post some of their other interesting apparatus that I was not able to get. For those that get FAJ, check out Kent's article on the FD in the March-April 2006 edition. I appreciate the info Kent.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Some very unusual and unique apparatus. M&W Fire Apparatus tried to market Fort Gary here in Virginia a while back as a lesser expensive line to their custom built apparatus. It did not work out for them. If my memory serves me correctly, they didn't sell any. Nice backdrop for photos also!!!
[quote name='mnsand' post='189580' date='Feb 17 2008, 02:56 ']I am assuming that South Berkeley purchased this FWD used?

Anyone have information where this FWD once served?

1956 FWD

750gpm

Photographed in 1981

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Mike Martinelli, or anyone else "in the know"- Doesn't Andy Leider have this one now? I think I remember seeing this one (and possibly taking a pic) inside his building....??????????
I struggled once again this week in West Virginia with some decent weather - lots of clouds and rain. I did manage, however, to drop by two stations - I was able to track someone down at one and found a member at another station.

I want to post these because there are some interesting hand me down fire trucks and some I am hoping some folks will have additional information based on serial numbers.

My GPS took me by Circleville, West Virginia in Pendleton County. Circleville has an old Loudoun County fire truck which I have always wanted to see.

First up is Engine 56, a 1985 Pierce Arrow 1500/750 with job number 2652. Circleville purchased this Pierce from Potomac Heights, MD. We were moving quick with the photos - rain was coming.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Circleville bought this engine new - a 1979 Ford F800/ALF with a 750 gpm pump. It originally had a 500 gallon water tank and was later upgraded to 750 gallons. Engine 52 has ALF s/n 2-6472.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This was what I was after at Circleville, although I was disappointed it is not lettered. Circleville has had this ladder truck since 2003. It still has Truck 2 marked on it from Purcellville, Virginia.

Circleville, VA

Truck 58

1974 Seagrave SR20768/1991 Virginia Department of Corrections in Mecklenburg, VA

100'

s/n D-75015

ex- Sterling, VA and Purcellville, VA - both Loudoun County, Virginia FD's

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Circleville is Tanker 55, a 1986 GMC Top Kick/4-Guys 300/1800 with 4-Guys s/n F-834. It was purchased from Staunton, Virginia.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I posted a couple of apparatus photos from Flatwoods earlier in this thread, including an interesting Seagrave rearmount aerial.

Flatwoods is a good place to get off I79 to gas up and get some food. The FD is about a mile down the road, and the few times I have dropped by, nobody has been there.

This time was different and a member was there. Unfortunately, I did not have much time as I was heading to a meeting and it was raining off and on in the area.

I am hoping some folks might have some additional info on these two trucks.

Engine 21 is a 1966 Mack C95FD 1000/750 with serial number 1553. I was told it came from Servia, West Virginia. I suspect Servia received it from another FD. Any help is appreciated.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I was told Flatwoods received this Ford commerical from Richardsville, Virgina - located in Culpeper County. Any of our Virginia firepicers recognize this truck since I have never been to Richardsville?

Also interested in verifying the water tank - I was given a variety of options on what the tank size might be.

1984 Ford C/Pierce Suburban

1000 gpm

job number E1666

ex- Richardsville, VA

I am beginning to gather that there are lots of interesting fire trucks in garages in West Virginia. Wish I had some time to spend visiting this area more.

Thanks to everyone for any additional info on these trucks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Let me know next time your coming to the eastern panhandle, I can show you around Mineral, Grant, some of Hampshire, Tucker, and Randolph Counties if you want.
Was looking through some old pics and found some to post.

Fountain VFD (Mineral County)

Brush 39 - 2004 Ford 300 gallons of water, 250 gpm pump

Engine 39 - 1994 Pierce Saber 750 water, 1250 gpm pump

Mt. Storm VFD (Grant County)

Brush 159, sorry no specs on the unit

Mt. Storm VFD (Grant County)

Engine/Tanker 153

Not sure of the year, Spartan/4-Guys 1800 water, not sure on pump, rig is also set up as a rescue engine.

Short Gap VFD (Mineral County)

Engine 34 - 2007 Pierce Dash - sorry no specs other than rear mount pump

Fort Ashby VFD (Mineral County)

Engine 37-13 - Sutphen, again no specs