Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Old Brush 16 is a 1988 FOrd F350/Local 125/200.

Photographed in 1996 at the small sub station (Company 20).

It was doanted to Swan Quarter, NC in 2003 after that FD was impacted by a hurricane.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Nags Head Station 20 is the small sub-station located across the street from Jockey's Ridge. Covering 420 acres, it is the East Coast's largest sand dune.

My understanding is that Station 20 is only covered by Nags Head volunteers. An engine and brush truck are housed here.

Old Engine 20 is a 1969 Seagrave PB 1250/500 with serial number R-4558. The Seagrave was sold to Columbia, NC in 1996.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The current Engine 20 barely fits into Station 20. It is a 1980 Seagrave PB that was rehabed in 2004 by East Coast Automotive located in Norfolk, Virginia. 1250/1000 with Seagrave serial number K73963.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Brush 20 is a 2003 Ford F350 Super Duty/Darley 75/250/22

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Station 16 is the main Nags Head FD and houses most of the equipment.

Engine 16 is this unusual 2001 American LaFrance 1500/750. No serial number.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The second pumper from Station 16 is Engine 161, a 1992 Emergency One Hurricane 1500/500 with serial number 9703.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Ladder truck duties are handled by Ladder 16, a 1987 Emergency One Hurricane 110' with serial number 5253.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Old Brush 16 sits out back at Station 16 and I am not sure of its status. It is looking pretty rough.

I photogrphed it a number of years ago- it is a 1954 Kaiser 150/400.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Storm 16 currently sits next to old Brush 16 and is a 1962 Kaiser ex-military. Not sure on the status of this truck now.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Nags Head also runs a variety of beach rescue trucks.

I photographed Ocean Rescue 1651 at Station 20 about a month ago. It is a 2000 Ford F150.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Throughout the years at OBX, I have seen some National Park Service apparatus.

I am hoping we might have some National Park Service apparatus experts who could provide info on this truck. I found this sitting out back of Nags Head Station 16 back in 1996.

Ford F500/Darley 750/500. I am assuming that a group was purchased. Would anyone have any info?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Nags Head recently opened up Fire Station 21 along Route 12.

Housed at Station 21 is an engine, beach rescue, and a town owned Storm unit (ex Navy). I was not able to photograph the Storm unit.

Here is a station photo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final photo from Nags Head is Engine 21, a 1995 Emergency One Sentry 1250/750 with serial number 15108. Prior to Station 21 opening, this Emergency One ran from Nags Head Station 16 and was the FD's first rescue engine.

Where to next? Roanoke Island, Manns Harbor, and Stumpy Point, and then to the FD's along the southern beaches.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
You go Mike!!!! Really enjoyable thread. I did not realize you had so many former OBX rigs. Can't wait for Stumpy Point and Manns Harbor. Jerry
Awesome pics Mike.

You mentioned that old Tanker 13 might have ended up at a bombing range in NC.....it's quite possible that range is the one on the way to Stumpy Point. When I was vacationing at Hatteras Island this year, I made the long drive down Rt 264 to Stumpy Point for my station pic, and there was a small sign that said Dare Navy Bombing Range at a road that ran off to the west.

Looking at Google Earth, it's obvious that is quite a large bombing range. Looks more like it's used for targeting than actual bombing, as I also noticed there was no gate across the road leading to it.

Chris
Remember, it's their Emergency, not yours !  Arrive Alive !
[quote name='Engine504Driver' post='33454' date='Sep 13 2006, 00:11 ']Awesome pics Mike.

You mentioned that old Tanker 13 might have ended up at a bombing range in NC.....it's quite possible that range is the one on the way to Stumpy Point. When I was vacationing at Hatteras Island this year, I made the long drive down Rt 264 to Stumpy Point for my station pic, and there was a small sign that said Dare Navy Bombing Range at a road that ran off to the west.

Looking at Google Earth, it's obvious that is quite a large bombing range. Looks more like it's used for targeting than actual bombing, as I also noticed there was no gate across the road leading to it.

Chris[/quote]

Chris,

Info I have read on Stumpy Point is that the FD helps protect two US Government bombing ranges. I have been told by serveral Outer Banks firefighters that there are some old Outer Banks fire trucks sitting out on the bombing range. Kind of sad.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Once you reach Nags Head and want to continue visiting the Outer Banks, you have reached a "Fork in the Road". You decide to either head down Highway 12 to the southern beaches or you cross over a large bridge to the Roanoke Island area.

We will head to Roanoke Island, which will also take us to the Dare County airport, Manns Harbor, and Stumpy Point. We will come back and finish with the Southern beaches on Highway 12.

The Roanoke Island VFD consists of two stations - Manteo and Wanchese. At one point, these were two different departments. In 1974, they joined together to form the Roanoke Island VFD.

This is a nice place to visit. The island is about 12 miles long and 3 miles wide. Some of the sites include The Elizabeth II (old sailing ship), Manteo is the Dare County seat, numerous shops, a small harbor, the acquarium, etc. Wanchese is more of a fishing and boat building area with little tourism. Lots of history because Roanoke Island played host to the first English speaking colonists in the New World (Sir Walter Raleigh). The first English speaking child born in the New World was Virginia Dare, thus the name of Dare County, North Carolina.

Ever since I have visited the Outer Banks I have visited the Roanoke Island VFD. With two stations, they have a bit of apparatus. My first visit was when some of the older trucks were just being sold. In addition, they have gone through a variety of color revisions and changes.

I will show the Roanoke Island VFD apparatus in radio ID order. It will give you a good feel for what has been in service and what is presently in service.

First up is old Engine 1702, a two door 1990 International/Emergency One 1250/1000. You will see that Roanoke Island had a strong like for the International cabs.

Engine 1702 was sold to Engelhard, North Carolina in Hyde County.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The newer Engine 1702 is a photo from our own Firepics Jerry Puryear.

2004 Pierce Enforcer 1250/1000/30. It carries job number 14781 and is kept at the Wanchese station.

The red and white colors are the new colors for Roanoke Island.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I photographed old Engine 1703 in July of 1995 just prior to it being sold.

It is a 1975 Ford C8000/American LaFrance 1000/750. It was kept at the Manteo station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The current Engine 1703 is this two door 1995 International/Emergency One 1250 gpm, 1500 gallons of water, and 30 gallons of foam. It has serial number 15134.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA