Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Squad 1A

Ladder 3

Ladder 6

Quote:old beat up spare seagrave

Is the amount of cancer on that not-so-old Seagrave atypical or is that usually how CFD apparatus end up?  Like any big city, I realize that a rig will be well-worn as it enters reserve status but that truck appears to be really eaten up.
Ronnie, most of those old Seagrave aerials look like that, mainly due to the use, and climate, lots of road salt used in Chicago.

Quote:Ronnie, most of those old Seagrave aerials look like that, mainly due to the use, and climate, lots of road salt used in Chicago.

Now that I am thinking about it, those Seagrave trucks are around the 20-year mark.  I didn't realize, until I started thinking about it, that they were that old.  They just looked "especially" beaten up as compared to some of the other Chicago rigs of the same vintage (or older).
the Seagraves are 1995's and very tired..It has a steel body as opposed to the E\-One towers that are aluminum they are beat too...just not rusted out

Quote:the Seagraves are 1995's and very tired..It has a steel body as opposed to the E-One towers that are aluminum they are beat too...just not rusted out

Steel body + Chicago FD run volume = rusted and beaten

Aluminum body + Chicago FD run volume = not as rusted but beaten nonetheless
FDNY Seagraves from the 1990's and early 2000's have the exact same problem...the shops have become masters at cutting out bad cab sections and replacing them with diamond plate patches!

got some shots of 688 from last summer's air show..just got to processing them now.....

Attached Files Image(s)

other side

Attached Files Image(s)

rough seas

Attached Files Image(s)

rear view

Attached Files Image(s)

with the jet ski

Attached Files Image(s)