Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Train Photography
Back in the mid 1960's soon after I discovered Trains Magazine, it had a short news article about the City of San Francisco then starting to haul it's garbage to a dump about 100 miles inland with a nightly train. People laughed but the spokesperson for therailroad (I think Southern Pacific) said "trash is cash for us."
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='Richard_L_Dean_07405' date='13 August 2010 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1281717775' post='397197']

Back in the mid 1960's soon after I discovered Trains Magazine, it had a short news article about the City of San Francisco then starting to haul it's garbage to a dump about 100 miles inland with a nightly train. People laughed but the spokesperson for therailroad (I think Southern Pacific) said "trash is cash for us."

[/quote]

I work for CSX. We haul trash from NY/NJ to NC. Although "trash is cash," IT IS NO FUN WHEN YOU HAVE TAKE THIS TRAIN FROM PLACE TO PLACE. Some of the smells will make you sick...LOL
[quote name='rawhitejr' date='15 August 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1281907223' post='397482']

I work for CSX. We haul trash from NY/NJ to NC. Although "trash is cash," IT IS NO FUN WHEN YOU HAVE TAKE THIS TRAIN FROM PLACE TO PLACE. Some of the smells will make you sick...LOL

[/quote]

I know. I'm on the NYS&W which is partly owned by both CSX and NS. They've been moving CD (construction debris) from transfer stations in Hudson County west for about ten years now. On hot summer nights it does have odors that are not pleasant but it's not supposed to be garbage.

BTW, I know CSX has a lot of engineers but just in case you know engineeer RCB of the River Line, he's been a casual friend for over 22 years.

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

Another hard day on the railroad in Lancaster County PA

Attached Files Image(s)

Metro North operated BL20GH at the Corbin Road Crossing in Pawling, NY

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CSX double stack train along the West Shore of the Hudson River. The Walkway over the Hudson (ex-Maybrook line) and Mid Hudson Bridge are in the background

An elusive but very impressive piece of maintenance equipment, the Loram Rail Grinder, aka the "Train From Hell." Its purpose is to grind the rail back to its original profile, thus extending the life of the rail and making for a smoother ride, while at the same time put off a nice display of sparks and smoke (and an occasional grass fire!).

This is only my second encounter with this machinery in 20 years, only this time I was lucky enough to have my camera with me!

Jamie Joyce

IND048 [url="http://www.incidentpage.net"]www.incidentpage.net[/url]

My railroad site [url="http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/"]http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/[/url]
I was going thru my dad's extensive slide collection and have scanned some of my favorite train pictures to share with everyone one here. Most of the slides I'm scanning are from the late 50's to the late eighties or so. Even tho dad spent 33 years in the fire service, he was a huge train buff.First slide is from a now long gone railroad, The Chicago & Great Western which ran about 3 blocks from my house. They were bought about by the Chicago & North Western in the late 60's and their trackage thru the Chicago area was all pulled up by the early 70's. Here is a shot of a westbound freight holding short of Taft Ave to allow an eastbound freight to clear the single track territory that started about a mile farther west of Taft Ave in Elmhurst. The power is 2 EMD SD40's, both built in 1966 along with 2 FB units. Photo is from May 1968.

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
From my week long vacation in the Hershey & Lancaster PA area

First up is a NS train east bound through Hummlestown PA at Railroad Street grade crossing.

Next stop was Lancaster and the RR Museum of PA and the Strausb

Strasburg 5pm train pulling into the station

Strausburg no 90 backing down the wye

[quote name='franksansev' date='10 September 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1284168598' post='402005']

From my week long vacation in the Hershey & Lancaster PA area

First up is a NS train east bound through Hummlestown PA at Railroad Street grade crossing.

[/quote]

That line is one of the busiest. It was for many decades the Reading Company's main line from Philly and Behtlehem to Harrisburg and then Conrail prior to Norfolk Southern getting it.

Back in 1984 I attended the Hershey Chocolatetown Firemen's Parade with friends of Unionville CT (Tunxis Hose)staying at the Best Western with my window facing that that line. Several long freights an hour would pass by often with eastbounds and westbounds passing each other at track speed. In the late 80's I marched in the parade with a number of trains going through town while we were proceeding from the famous old Hershey chocolate factory on the east end of Chocolate Avenue to the Reese's plant on the west end. Every time we visit HersheyPark it's a constant sound of big trains passing by. If we eat at the Bob Evan's in Hummelstown off HersheyPark Drive next to the track there's always at least a couple of trains that will make the buildng vibrate.

Florida East Coast RR - seen in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

[Image: 4973543878_12d1eb0f5a_b.jpg]
American Red Cross - DAT Captain
Member 4-2-4 - 5-11 Club of Chicago

Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis # 3001 working in Brooklyn, IL.

The 765 getting ready for a run from fort wayne indiana to cleveland then new york.

My father and myself took the little 1958 F.W.D.'s up to STEAMTOWN National Historic Site in Scranton, Pa. on September 5. Labor Day Weekend they always hold "RAILFEST", a celebration of all things TRAIN. Let's start with Union Pacific "BIG BOY" 4-8-8-4 #4012, one of twenty delivered to the UP Railroad November of 1941. Another 5 were delivered in 1945 (ALCO Locomotive, Schenectady NY Shops.) These are the largest steam locomotives ever produced. I believe only 8 are known left in existence, and none are operable. The UP Railroad does, however, maintain and regularly run one of the BIG BOY's little brothers, the CHALLENGER 4-6-6-4, #3985.

Attached Files Image(s)

Canadian National #3254 2-8-2 Mikado, built by Kingston Works Ontario, Canada, 1917. Seen here at a pause before making photo run-by's at the Moscow, Pa. station.

Attached Files Image(s)

Haven't posted in a while but I have been trackside during the month of September. Here are some of my favorite shots from CSX's River Subdivision that runs on the west shore of the Hudson River between North Bergen, NJ and Selkirk, NY. I shoot all along the river but my favorite spot is MP 41, also known as Iona Island.

Starting off on September 21 at 8:18 AM. CSX train Q-169, a northbound double-stack train came through with CSX #5218 leading. #5218 is a GE ES44DC.

At 8:30 AM another northbound double-stack train came through. This is train Q-167 led by CSX #143, a GE AC4400-CW. After this train went by me I heard on the scanner that the track was being taken out of service for several hours so I headed back home. I'd be back in a couple of days and make up for only shooting 2 trains on this day.