Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Train Photography
I came back to Iona on Friday September, 24. It was supposed to be sunny but the early morning fog hadn't yet cleared. No big deal for me...I firmly believe unless you're taking roster shots that you don't necessarily need perfect sunlit skies for photography.

The first train of my day came north at 6:55 AM. It's train Q-214, a northbound general freight led by CSX #7313, a former Conrail GE C40-8W.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

After the Q-214 went north the next train was a southbound. At 7:10 AM train K-652, a train of solid ethanol tank cars, came by. The covered hopper is the protection between the cars of ethanol and the locomotives and crew. K-652 is led by CSX #5420, a GE ES44DC.

Here's another view of the K-652.

Another southbound came through at 7:28 AM. This train was a solid autorack train. Unfortunately I couldn't get the train symbol as the crew were expert at mumbling on the radio. CSX crews are required to call each signal as they pass it, giving their train symbol, milepost, and signal indication. At Iona Island there are 5 signals within the listening range of my scanner and this crew expertly mumbled their calls at each signal.

Anyway, the Q--- is led by CSX #5293, another GE ES44DC.

Now it was time for a few northbounds. At 7:55 AM the Q-165, a double-stack train, came north with CSX #682 leading. #682 is a GE AC60CW.

At 8:12 AM another northbound double-stack came by. Q-169 is led by CSX #7734, another one of those ES44DC's.

I was just playing with my different lenses and angles while the Q-169 was going by.

Now we're back to southbounds. Q-110 came south at 8:38 AM behind CSX #900. #900 is not the usual GE ES44DC, but a GE ES44AC.

Here's another view of Q-110.

Right after the Q-110 went south the Q-108, another double-stack train, came through at 8:46 AM. The lead power on Q-108, CSX #5446, was the usual GE ES44DC.

The Q-108 was my last train for the day. Even though I had heard on the scanner that there were 2 more trains in the immediate area I was ready to call it a day. I had been at the Island since 6 AM, (having gotten up at 5 AM) and caught the majority of the morning 'rush hour'. 7 trains in just under 2 hours is certainly nothing to complain about!

[quote name='jmp883' date='27 September 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1285601636' post='404792']

The Q-108 was my last train for the day. Even though I had heard on the scanner that there were 2 more trains in the immediate area I was ready to call it a day. I had been at the Island since 6 AM, (having gotten up at 5 AM) and caught the majority of the morning 'rush hour'. 7 trains in just under 2 hours is certainly nothing to complain about!

[/quote]

Great shots thanx for posting
[quote name='Jamie' date='30 August 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1283199663' post='400063']

An elusive but very impressive piece of maintenance equipment, the Loram Rail Grinder, aka the "Train From Hell." Its purpose is to grind the rail back to its original profile, thus extending the life of the rail and making for a smoother ride, while at the same time put off a nice display of sparks and smoke (and an occasional grass fire!).

This is only my second encounter with this machinery in 20 years, only this time I was lucky enough to have my camera with me!

[/quote]

Thuse things are truly nasty!!!!
Went on my second photo charter with [url="http://www.lerroproductions.com/"]Lerro Productions[/url] at the strasburg railroad in Strasburg,PA

Here are two photo's out of 500 + photos of the two day event

[Image: IMG_2966.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3066.jpg]
Rob Leahy Jr.

Captain/EMT

Vice President

Westville Fire Department

Westville New Jersey

Gloucester County
Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis.

#2000 and #2002 working in north St. Louis.

Union Pacific # 5754 along Front Street in East St. Louis with the Eads Bridge and the Gateway Arch in the background.

United States Steel Granite City Works # 1244 sits on a siding in Granite City, IL.

[quote name='davedubo' date='13 November 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1289679066' post='411546']

United States Steel Granite City Works # 1244 sits on a siding in Granite City, IL.

[/quote]

Nice shot Dave, I've seen this unit from a distance several times and was never able to get a good shot. It was also a pleasure seeing you last week at the FOOLS meeting.
Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
Here are a few train pictures I have taken.

This Caboose belongs to the Tyburn Railroad, which is located in Falls Twp, Bucks County, PA

[Image: FallsTwpPABox30-354.jpg]

[Image: FallsTwpPABox30-353.jpg]

[Image: FallsTwpPABox30-352.jpg]

[Image: FallsTwpPABox30-351.jpg]

[Image: FallsTwpPABox30-355.jpg]

This is the ACES Train, more commonly known as the Gamblers Express. It is operated by NJ Transit. It runs between New York and Philadelphia, then to Atlantic City. This run caught fire on Philadelphia Avenue in Falls Township in February 2010

[Image: PHILAAVETRAINFIRE2-13-10009.jpg]

[Image: PHILAAVETRAINFIRE2-13-10011.jpg]

[Image: PHILAAVETRAINFIRE2-13-10008.jpg]
Well, those are appropriate photos for the train thread on Firepics!
John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York