Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joppa-Magnolia VFD
Anybody now the story behind this one being for sale?

www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableTrucks/TruckDetails.aspx?Truck=04481-2010-Pierce-Arrow-105'-Aerial&Id=1077

Just talking to Roto Ray about it after I saw it on Brindlee's site 

I was told some of the BCFD influence on this rig included a lack of pre-piped waterway.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:I was told some of the BCFD influence on this rig included a lack of pre-piped waterway.
Their was a big stink about the Lack of a Waterway and that being a county standard,,,,,,, Seems like they're letting it go awful cheap however.....
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Not to pick on this department, but I'll pick on this department. Does anybody ever lose their job when things like this happen? I'm not talking about a situation where a piece of equipment is a lemon and you get rid of it relatively quickly - that's defensible.

But this post and the one about Mount Horeb really got me thinking about how accountable (or not) these agencies are. Who takes the fall for wasting a bunch of $ on a rig that is dumped shortly after it was purchased?
Both of those are volunteer departments, so I don't know how much control the governments have over them. As far as the price, 750,000 is actually a bit high for the truck because of the lack of water way, pump and tank. That is about 65,000-70,000 off a new unit to start with.

Chief speaks the truth. No pump, no tank, and no waterway this truck is way over priced and will sit on Brindlee's site for awhile. I don't see why they don't get a waterway installed because when I looked into it on a used rig it was 10-12k to get done.

If you look at the specs' is states that it is a 3-foot out rigger spread fromm each side of the truck.  That leads me to beleive that this is a medium duty aerial ladder (assuming 500# tip load max).  So that is probably why they have a ladder pipe set up and not full waterway.  Also too it has a hydrolic reel set up so I'm assuming they carried resuce tools on it as well.

Also too quite honestly, having a pre-piped waterway may not be the answer if 90% of your aerial useage is the ladder itself to gian access to roofs over a long distance or height.  I don't know anything about the company that operated it nor the area so I can only assume.  And quite honestly if you are going to need an elevated master stream at a prolonged incident, there is nothing wrong with the ladder pipe set up instead of pre-piped waterway. Obviously theire is advantages and disadvantages to both.

As for pumps on a truck, I'm a traditionalist, a ladder truck should be a ladder truck.

But the price for the engine hours and miles on it does seem high for the rig.

Quote:Not to pick on this department, but I'll pick on this department. Does anybody ever lose their job when things like this happen? I'm not talking about a situation where a piece of equipment is a lemon and you get rid of it relatively quickly - that's defensible.

But this post and the one about Mount Horeb really got me thinking about how accountable (or not) these agencies are. Who takes the fall for wasting a bunch of $ on a rig that is dumped shortly after it was purchased?
Agreed.  Working...and photographing...in an area that keeps trucks for 20+ years (well maintained, I might add) and we can't replace those right now...this stuff actually aggravates me.

Kent Parrish

Louisville, KY
Caught the tail end of a conversation at class this past weekend about the truck having multiple issues that Pierce refused to fix and they were potentially going to seek legal action.  Then heard rumors of a TDA possibly in their future (I personally doubt it but whatever).  In other Joppa news their reserve truck (can't remember the specs but it was on loan to a company in Delaware) was traded to a scrapper in place of the Mack CF squirt from Willingboro, NJ.

Quote:Caught the tail end of a conversation at class this past weekend about the truck having multiple issues that Pierce refused to fix and they were potentially going to seek legal action.  Then heard rumors of a TDA possibly in their future (I personally doubt it but whatever).  In other Joppa news their reserve truck (can't remember the specs but it was on loan to a company in Delaware) was traded to a scrapper in place of the Mack CF squirt from Willingboro, NJ.

I used to work at Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Dept- and ran automatic mutual aid with them 24/7 on many of their boxes on the initial dispatch as well as a bunch of others if a confirmed fire. They have hard enough time getting one driver during the day let alone two. 
Wasn't there reserve truck a pretty nice Pierce?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
No, either and a spartan or duplex LTI and it was older