Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer Banks, North Carolina - Department profiles
Saving this post from the semi-annual clean up. I plan on posting additional photographs as I make trips to the Outer Banks. A lot of work went into photographing and describing the departments of North Carolina's Outer Banks, and I would like to see this profile saved. My thanks to all who have added information and photographs.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And I for one am glad to see the topic saved! It's always been one of my favorite topics to read. I'm sure you've put long hours into the making of it Mike. Thanks for all your hard work, it definitely paid off!
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

Duck Tower Ladder Pump Panel. From my trip in 2005

Attached Files Image(s)

A well set up, busy hosebed on one of their wagons

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great photos and thread...I am enjoying the sun and sand of the Outer Banks right now. Perhaps I will be able to get a pic or two to add to the thread.
Time to put a little life back into the OBX thread.

I recently returned from a week's vacation in Duck and had the opportunity to visit a variety of the OBX fire stations. Weather all week was really good, with one day of clouds and rain - fortunately, that was the day we were leaving. Yet again, the friendliness and cooperation from the folks at the stations was outstanding.

I have a variety of updates from both Currituck and Dare County stations as well as a variety of photographs to post.

I will start with our trip down to OBX through the Tidewater Virginia area and entering North Carolina from Chesapeake, Virginia. Just after crossing the VA/NC border, you enter Currituck County and the first station is Moyock.

Original photos from Moyock are on page 1 of this thread.

New to Moyock is their Truck 3, a 1998 Sutphen 75' 1750/500 with Sutphen s/n HS-3311. It was purchased from Rostraver Central, PA where it was painted black over red. Moyock received the Sutphen last year and had it repainted.

Would anyone have a photo of the Sutphen while in service in PA?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
While in Moyock the comment was made about the new tanker at Crawford Township, about 7 miles down the road. Now I have been following Crawford TWP apparatus for a number of years. Crawford runs from three stations and have a unique variety of apparatus, both new and old. Each year my visit to OBX includes stops at Crawford, so this comment was a bit perplexing because I thought I was "in the know". How wrong I was.

I was a bit surprised to see a new Pierce tanker sitting in the bay at the Sligo station just recently delivered - still had the 30 day tags on it.

Engine 40 is a 2008 Pierce Arrow XT 1500/3500 with Pierce job number 20814. This is one big engine/tanker. The plans are to run it from the Sligo station but some changes are going to have to be made to the Crawford apparatus because there is no longer room at the stations.

In addition, Crawford has obtained a ex- Virginia Beach, VA engine/telesqurt (sorry, no other information) that is currently being rehabed and will be painted black over red. The initial plans are to have this also run from Sligo. I was told the ex- Virginia Beach unit will not replace the current Seagrave ladder truck Crawford runs. Add another ex- Virginia Beach fire truck to the Crawford TWP roster.

By the way, you can find other Crawford TWP photos on pages 1 and 17 of this thread.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is another engine sitting at Crawford's Sligo station...it is being stored for the Knotts Island, NC (also in Currituck County) because Knotts Island is currently having a new station built.

Here is what is interesting.....Knotts Island owns two Pierce engines that originally were built for a fire department in Michigan.

Photos of Knotts Island apparatus are on page 2 of this thread. One of the photos is a Pierce that came from Delphi Charter TWP Fire Department in Holt, Michigan. Knotts Island now owns a second Pierce from Holt, MI.

This engine is a 1992 Pierce Dash 1250gpm. No one knew the exact water tank size. It carries job number E6969. Right now, with the delivery of Crawford TWP's new Pierce tanker, this Pierce destined for Knotts Island sits outside. I wonder if it will find a new home until the Knotts Island station is complete?

You might notice in the background a white fire truck - that is ex- Chesapeake, Virginia that is owned by Crawford TWP. It is a PemFab/National Foam (I posted a photo of it in this thread) that was to be stationed at the Crawford station near the airport and re-painted black over red. Unfortunately, Crawford was waiting on some grants from the airport to get this rehabed, which have not happened. Until it does (or if it does), this PemFab will stay outside.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Leaving Crawford and continuing my way to Duck, NC, I also stopped at the Lower Currituck VFD in Grandy. They have recently taken delivery of two "new" fire trucks.

First up is Lower Currituck's "new" Rescue Squad 5, a 1994 International 4700/Summit. The only information I have is that this truck came from a FD in Ohio. No other information. This squad was just recently placed into service.

Heavy rescue's are a bit on the rare side in Outer Banks FD's.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also new at Lower Currituck is this truck - my problem is I am not sure if it is Brush 5 or Attack 5 because the FD had not yet decided.

Lower Currituck has a Ford F pick up brush truck, which they continue to run. Other Lower Currituck apparatus can be found on page 2 of this thread.

2008 Dodge Ram 5500/Bay Fire

300gwt/15 foam

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The career staff firefighter I spoke with and who moved the squad and brush truck around for photos makes it a habit to pull out most of the apparatus out on the ramp during the weekend's so visitors can see the apparatus. Nice touch.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
mnsand. Is there alot of room for employment and jobs in the OBX area? Fire ems wise. Ive got my eye on ocean city but am curious on other beach citys.
Lower Currituck VFD runs from three stations. The Grandy station has received a nice "rehab" during the past year.

The stops at Moyock, Crawford TWP, and Lower Currituck wrapped up my drive down to Duck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I had made arrangements to visit two OBX stations that are considered the on the mainland, rather than the Outer Banks (more on that later). While traveling to those stations, I did have the opportunity to visit and photograph some other stations.

At one time, OBX stations had three Grumman Aerial Cat's in service (Corolla, Duck, and Kill Devil Hills). Corolla and Kill Devil Hills still have their Grummans, however I have heard conversations about Kill Devil Hills replacing their Grumman in the future. With that in mind, I wanted to get some digial photos of their Truck 14.

Kill Devil Hills, NC

Dare County

Truck 14

1986 Duplex/Grumman Aerial Cat

102'

1500/150

Grumman s/n 17489

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
One of the highlights of my week was a visit to Stumpy Point, NC - Station 19 in Dare County. I have been visiting the OBX for 10+ years but have never made it to Stumpy Point. Let's just say it is a ways out from any other station.

The Chief at Stumpy Point met us and made arrangements to move most of the apparatus around. Stumpy Point is a very small and rural fishing community. The FD is extremely limited on funds. One of their greatest obstacles is just paying the monthly utility bills. As a result, all of the apparatus at Stumpy Point have been donated or sold at a very small price.

First up is Engine 1901, a 1980 Seagrave PB 24068 that was rehabed in 2004 by East Coast Automotive in Norfolk, VA. 1250/1000 with s/n K73963. Stumpy Point received this in 2008. OBX visitors recognize this one? This ran for many years at Nags Head, NC.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Engine 1902 at Stumpy Point is still marked for the Buxton VFD, also located in Dare County near the Hatteras Light House. I was told this truck has not been re-lettered because there is a "title" problem to it. So, although Stumpy Point has had it for about 5 years, on paper it is still owned by Buxton.

Stumpy Point, NC

Dare County

Engine 1902

1977 GMC 6500/E-One

1000/750

serial number 459

marked for Buxton, NC (Dare County)

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Lot's of ex- military trucks run from Dare County fire stations. A program has been designed where the NC Forest Service acts as the "vendor" between the fire departments and the miltary. These trucks perform very well during hurricanes and other storms. I was told that the fire departments agree to eventually repaint the trucks to their colors.

Stumpy Point runs this interesting truck as their Utility 19. It is a 1968 Kaiser M35 6x6 2.5 ton with a 250/500. There is a decal on the truck showing the NC Forest Service.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A rear shot of Utility 19.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
oh no....guess you saw the front end of that Ford truck in the background of the rear shot of Utility 19. I won't keep you in suspense.

The term "Rescue" had lot's of different meaning to OBX fire departments.

Stumpy Point's Rescue 19 is a 1993 Ford E/AEV old Dare County ambulance.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This truck plays an interesting role at Stumpy Point. Yes, it is a brush truck, and yes, that is a boat strapped on the top of the brush truck. But that boat will not go out in the salt water that surrounds the entire small community of Stumpy Point.

To get to Stumpy Point, you have to travel about 15 miles off of the main road outside of Manns Harbor. For just about the entire 15 miles that we traveled, a canal is located right next to the road to Stumpy Point. Over the years, there have been numerous auto accidents with vehicles ending up in the canal. Based on a alligator park located in the area as well as black bears, I am not sure I would want to be in that position. Anyways, the brush truck is first out on auto accidents. The game plan is to put the boat into the canal. Also carried on the brush truck is a four pronged hook that attaches to the boat and is thrown around the trees located next to the canal. Basically, the firefighters can pull themselves back and forth while in the boat to reach the other side of the canal.

Interestingly, a guard rail was put up next to the road and the canal - Stumpy Point volunteers told us auto accidents with cars ending up in the canal have gone down by 90%. I bet the alligators and bears are disappointed.

Stumpy Point, NC

Dare County

Brush 19

1986 Chevrolet

250/168

obtained through the NC Forest Service - ex military

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA