Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Fire Department
Chicago O'Hare

1973 Oshkosh

Crash-657

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Srresquire' date='13 January 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1263425401' post='358310']

Got a new scanner today and am experimenting with it.... Taken at the academy in the early 60s...a gmc(??) hi ranger...

These images will be featured in my next book project..stay tuned

Image by Warren Redick CFD Retired

[/quote]

I have that listed as a 1961 Ford F/Hi-Ranger 80' snorkel, CFD G#-169. Corrections welcome.
This is a picture of a picture...then scanned in...Truck 51 6204 S Green showing eng 84 and BC12...about 1975 or so...this is where I did most of my fanning in the good old days......

Attached Files Image(s)

here's a shot of 79 with their ALF Century...from the late 1980s as I recall

Attached Files Image(s)

How can ya not like this shot????

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Srresquire' date='20 January 2010 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1264027723' post='359543']

How can ya not like this shot????

[/quote]

Great stuff, Steve !!
Awesome shots!!!
What ever hapened to to the order of 36 ladder trucks that were suppose to come last year. I keep hearing they are canceling them what happend to just adding on to the order or Pierce truucks they got a few years. Rumor is it was going to be e one hope not it seems there days are # snd quality if not there..
[quote name='Srresquire' date='16 January 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1263683953' post='358939']

This is a picture of a picture...then scanned in...Truck 51 6204 S Green showing eng 84 and BC12...about 1975 or so...this is where I did most of my fanning in the good old days......

[/quote]

This picture was a memory jolt. A friend and I drove out to Chicago from RI in the summer of 1974, and rode E84 for a few days after spending a few days at SS1. Great people (and a nasty dog) and a great time for a couple of 21 year-old vollies
Steve,

The more of your Dad's stuff you can get scanned and posted, the better!

Some of the very best!
[quote name='RDW1966' date='21 January 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1264084669' post='359631']

What ever happened to to the order of 36 ladder trucks that were suppose to come last year. I keep hearing they are canceling them what happend to just adding on to the order or Pierce trucks they got a few years. Rumor is it was going to be e one hope not it seems there days are # snd quality if not there..

[/quote]

[b]I also heard that the order was canceled.The order for 36 Trucks was for a multiyear contract which was supposed to be delivered at a rate of about 6 a year.

The irony about this order is that it was on the third request for bids because the previous two rounds of bids were rejected by the City. It took about a year for the the Department of Fleet Management to finally agree on the bids that were submitted by E/One however the City apparently has backed out on this one as well.

I haven't any other information as to if any more request's for bids have been announced by the Department of Fleet Management as of yet.
I'm doing a little research on the Chicago Snorkels. There were three 1974 Oshkosh/Pierce 75' Snorkels with 1250 GPM pumps and a 1982 Seagrave/Pierce 85' Snorkel with a 1500 GPM pump. Does anyone know if these rigs carried water and if they did, how much?

The 1974's were assigned to Snorkels 3, 4, and 5 when new. They also were assigned to Squads 1A, 2A and 5A later in life. Does anyone know which original Snorkel went to which Squad?

Even though it is a special call apparatus now, has the 1982 rig ever been assigned as anything other than "Snorkel 1"? Thanks!
To complicate things further Dave I have seen photos of the '74 Oshkosh/Pierce 75' rigs assigned to Snorkel Co. 1 and 2 as well...

Must have been re-assignments from either 3, 4 or 5.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Well lets see if this works. Here is the first of a series of scans of the CFD roster as of 5/3/1989. I came across this one and one from 1991 as I cleaned out old photo albums.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
Page 2. I do believe this roster was compiled by Jack Connors.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Page 3

Attached Files Image(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Excellent info!! What truck companies were designated tillers then?
Jamie Joyce

IND048 [url="http://www.incidentpage.net"]www.incidentpage.net[/url]

My railroad site [url="http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/"]http://jlj061.rrpicturearchives.net/[/url]
Page 4

Attached Files Image(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Page 5

Attached Files Image(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

[quote name='Jamie' date='26 January 2010 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1264538366' post='360585']

Excellent info!! What truck companies were designated tillers then?

[/quote]

None, all trucks by then were either rearmounts or tower ladders.
Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i