Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Train Photography
My favorite shot of the day.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='jmp883' post='283194' date='Feb 19 2009, 22:51 ']This seems to be one of my new favorite shots since the new automatic signal was installed last year. Here's the tank train approaching the signal at MP 40.[/quote]

Nice shots, your work shows how big these things are. You also captured another railfan photographer in the yellow truck.
John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
[quote name='jmp883' post='283197' date='Feb 19 2009, 23:00 ']My favorite shot of the day.[/quote]

Awesome photos, great work, can't wait to see more of your pictures. Keep up the good work.

Jeff Ambroz-Rochester,NY
Great shots.
[quote name='yelrowekim' post='279962' date='Feb 7 2009, 23:18 ']Love the step ladder...with the "trucks" on the bottom[/quote]

Don't say that too loud or it could be the new ladder 2
This sweet Alco C-415 switch engince was the surprise of the day when I was going thru Burlington, IA. It's a ex Southern Pacific unit,one of three C-415's owned by the Burlington Jct. Rwy based out of Burlington, IA. Two are kept running and the third is being cannibalized for parts. The SP initially recieved 10 of these units numbered 2400 - 2409 in 1966. After I shot the pics the engineer started BS'ing with me and it turns out he is a firefighter in Mt. Pleasant, IA.

Dennis

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

All photos Copyright Metzger.Media 2014 unless otherwise noted
Back on Sept. 30th Union Pacific Challenger 3985 came thru Shakopee, MN and made a 5 minute stop on it's return trip to Cheyenne, WY. This was my time seeing 3985 and it was worth the wait. It was definitely impressive in size. Unfortunately besides us serious photographers everyone with a cell phone camera came out of the woodwork for this and I was unable to keep people from wandering in and out of the pictures.

Dennis

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Here is the same shot redone as a B&W. I think it looks a lot more dramatic.

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Here's a shot of the builder plate.

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

Here's a detail shot of the smokebox. I love steam engines and enjoy seeing them under steam whenever possible.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dennis Metzger

Eden Prairie, MN

Canon EOS T3i

[Image: 6a151617-1.jpg]
American Red Cross - DAT Captain
Member 4-2-4 - 5-11 Club of Chicago

I'd like to thank those of you who complimented my previous postings. I really do appreciate the comments....makes me feel good that making the digital SLR purchase was the right thing to do. I'm not sure these photos will live up to those previously posted but here they are for your enjoyment.

I went back to Iona Island, NY this morning. Saturdays are normally the light day on the River Line in comparison to the rest of the week. I only caught one train.....a southbound general manifest, the Q-433, being led by CSX #636. I didn't count the cars but it was one of the longer trains I've seen come through here lately. Unfortunately I couldn't get the angle I wanted on the train due to the number of railfans that were there. That's one nice thing to having a job schedule that doesn't include dayshift! Iona Island is busier during the weekdays anyway..and that's just fine with me!

Here's the Q-433 coming off the trestle on the north end of the island and starting the climb up the small grade onto the island.

A little farther along now....Q-433 is now blowing for the grade crossing.

Now coming past me the #636 and partner have a good roll on this rather long train.

Finally....after a long time the rear-end marker came by. Not my best shots...but then again, just like fishing, a bad day of train photography is still better than a good day of work!

[quote name='photog999' post='283670' date='Feb 21 2009, 23:31 ']Here is the same shot redone as a B&W. I think it looks a lot more dramatic.[/quote]

The Black & White does look better, nice shot.
[quote name='The Commish' post='285476' date='Feb 28 2009, 15:29 ']The Black & White does look better, nice shot.[/quote]

I have to agree also...the B/W version is just awesome.
[quote name='jmp883' post='285474' date='Feb 28 2009, 15:20 ']Now coming past me the #636 and partner have a good roll on this rather long train.[/quote]

Great shots. You know some great places to get pics.
Bigbadred411 wrote:

Quote:Great shots. You know some great places to get pics.

Thanks. Iona Island, NY is on the west bank of the Hudson River and is part of the Harriman State Park, which includes Bear Mountain. It's about 40 miles or so north of NYC and is also an area rich in US, as well as railroad, history. Iona Island has been a railfan mecca for years and years. It is one of the places in the metro NY/NJ area where railfans can still enjoy their hobby without worrying about having someone calling the police on them for 'suspicious activity'. Train activity on the River Line is pretty heavy as it's CSX's primary rail line into and out of the NYC area. Traffic is fairly heavy morning and late afternoon while there is a bit of a lull during the midday. Saturday is the light day compared to other 6 days of the week. I'm a dispatcher and rotate between the 4pm-12am shift and the 12am-8am shift so I spend a lot of time there, especially during the week when most other railfans are at their jobs.

Me and my buddy have traveled most of the River Line and there are a number of other great locations as well. I'll have to visit them again this spring now that I have my new camera.

Here's some more shots taken from the same area. First up is the CSX #7321 leading a UP unit and a general freight train southbound under, and past, the Bear Mountain Bridge. This shot was from 12/12/06.

Not one of my better shots, at least regarding the lighting of the subject, but here is southbound train Q-417 led by the CSX #4741 passing the old NYC milepost on 6/13/06. Look closely, the nose of the #4741 must have been lettered by a fan of CSI!