Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syracuse Sutphen Aerial Towers
Finally! A thread I can contribute to- that happens once in a while.

Syracuse, NY. Truck 5 carrying HS-5891 on the build line at Sutphen Corporation last year.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Chief, do you think SFD would ever consider the SPH100? I have worked off both and I think the SPH design is so much more modern and ergonomic.

Quote:Chief, do you think SFD would ever consider the SPH100? I have worked off both and I think the SPH design is so much more modern and ergonomic.

During my tenure as Chairman of the Apparatus Advisory Committee, I made it clear that I was not interested in an SPH100 at all, although Sutphen always tried to sell us one. The vast majority of fireground injuries are slip-and-fall injuries, and the SPH100 design requires personnel to climb up on the rig to enter the basket. We can step right into the basket from the ground on ours. I had no interest in paying more money for a design that I felt was less safe for our firefighters.

Having said that, each municipality must decide for itself what apparatus is right for them. There are many departments currently using the SPH, and that's fine. That's their choice, and I'm sure they work for them. The SFD has chosen what works best for us. Whether or not that will ever change in the future is no longer in my control.

Great threads chief! Could we get a rescue company thread? Yourock 

Quote:Great threads chief! Could we get a rescue company thread? Yourock

Workin' on it. I already have nearly 50 pictures set aside in a folder - just double-checking dates & facts before I start in on it. Stay tuned.
Awesome job! I appreciate the effort you are putting into it.

I agree ! Great Thread ! Just received the book you and Tom Shand did as well. Good stuff.
Trey White
Great topic Chief I love the history and the information. Thank you for putting all of this together.

Dave