Denver Metro Fire Apparatus
South Metro Medic 42 - 2008 Ford F-550 / PL Custom 4x4

South Metro Paramedic Engine 47 - 2003 E\-One

South Metro Tower 45 - 2007 Sutphen 100'

Retired Littleton Engine 11 - 1991 Pierce Lance

Retired Littleton Engine

Highlands Ranch / Littleton Engine 17 with new graphics

"Operated by Littleton Fire Rescue"

Toneslider I am very impressed with this thread and your terrific website.

I am also impressed with Denver's Fleet of relatively new apparatus and the Tower Ladders as well.

It's good to see that there is a western Fire Department that is using Aerial Platforms (besides Phoenix and Las Vegas) and in Texas of course. It seems that very few fire departments that are located on the West Coast that use Aerial Platforms (at least in California and Washington)
Toneslider I have some questions regarding Denver's 2 single Truck company stations.

1. Is Tower Ladder 4 a dry (non quint) apparatus and if that is the case did Station 4 ever run with an Engine company? It seems unusual that they are running by themselves from a 3 bay station.

2. As Truck 2 is running with a Quint (wet apparatus) do they also respond as an Engine in their first due area as they have a large district to cover that apparently isn't very built up yet?

I also have noticed that stations 17 and 10 are No longer running with Quints but with straight Engines. That apparently means that they now have a longer wait for a Truck or an Aerial equipped apparatus to arrive. Are there any plans to put new Truck companies in service at their stations as they both seem to be a good distance away from a Truck company (especially station 17)?
[quote name='firepost' post='294794' date='Apr 5 2009, 12:19 ']Toneslider I am very impressed with this thread and your terrific website.

I am also impressed with Denver's Fleet of relatively new apparatus and the Tower Ladders as well.

It's good to see that there is a western Fire Department that is using Aerial Platforms (besides Phoenix and Las Vegas) and in Texas of course. It seems that very few fire departments that are located on the West Coast that use Aerial Platforms (at least in California and Washington)
[/quote]

Well, I think I can help with part of that. About 2 years ago my dept was looking at buying a truck. We had the local ALF rep out and asking about the aerial platforms he stated that the reason you dont see any new ones is due to the weight limits on the roads in CA. I think he mentioned that WA was the same as well.
[quote name='firepost' post='294798' date='Apr 5 2009, 13:40 ']Toneslider I have some questions regarding Denver's 2 single Truck company stations.

1. Is Tower Ladder 4 a dry (non quint) apparatus and if that is the case did Station 4 ever run with an Engine company? It seems unusual that they are running by themselves from a 3 bay station.

2. As Truck 2 is running with a Quint (wet apparatus) do they also respond as an Engine in their first due area as they have a large district to cover that apparently isn't very built up yet?

I also have noticed that stations 17 and 10 are No longer running with Quints but with straight Engines. That apparently means that they now have a longer wait for a Truck or an Aerial equipped apparatus to arrive. Are there any plans to put new Truck companies in service at their stations as they both seem to be a good distance away from a Truck company (especially station 17)?
[/quote]

firepost,

Tower 4 is in fact a straight tower ladder, no water, no pump. It runs solo out of Station 4 and has since the 80's I think; years ago an Engine, Ladder & Rescue all ran out of 4's at the same time. It is somewhat unusual that a non-quint aerial would run alone but Engines 3, 6 & 1 are only blocks away. There has been talk about taking E3 OOS and moving it to E4 but I'm not sure how likely that is. During busy times like New Years an extra duty Engine is placed in service at 4's so the they don't run the wheels off the Tower.

Truck 2 is currently in a Smeal 75' Quint and is soon to be replaced by a 2009 Velocity 105' quint. 2's first due is rapidly growing, they currently cover several hundred single family homes, several apartment complexes, shopping centers, high rise commercial, high rise hotels and several miles of highway. They are the first due city rig to Denver International Airport also. The second due engines are somewhat far away by DFD standards, so T2 will take a line in when necessary. They prefer to operate it as a truck but its evaluated on a case by case basis. I wouldn't be surprised to see E2 added in the next 5-8 years.

Denver decided a long time ago to stop using telesqurts but front line rigs are on a 10-20 year replacement schedule depending on wear & tear. Station 10 will probably only have an Engine for a long time. Truck's 8, 15 & 26 are too close to justify another piece. A new station (35) is slated for Northfield Stapleton which could result in some apparatus moves up there. As far as 17's goes... your absolutely correct that they're isolated from the rest of city. Rarely did the squrts get used for anything other than engine or defensive duty and 17's is rather slow. I doubt we'll see a truck added at 17's now or anytime really. Truck 12 can make it there pretty fast and 4's or 9's isn't too far behind.

Denver became big on Tower Ladders in the 90's and I think they'll continue to use them. West Metro & South Metro are following the same concept which is nice to see. It's only an idea at this point but South Metro has talked about the next ladder replacement being tillers... we can only hope.

Great questions, thanks.
I snuck a few photos at the DFD Shops yesterday...

The new Truck 2 getting it's final touches at the shops.

Reserve on the lift

Truck 8, Reserve Engine (Old E1) & Retired E23 getting stripped for auction.

On the right side, Tower 1 getting an overhaul, Engine 29, Reserve Rescue. On the left, Former Squrt 10 & Truck 8

Englewood Battalion Chief 2

Squad 22 staged at a job this morning.

[quote name='Toneslider12' post='295807' date='Apr 9 2009, 14:35 ']On the right side, Tower 1 getting an overhaul, Engine 29, Reserve Rescue. On the left, Former Squrt 10 & Truck 8

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46576][/quote]

I know DFD is all Q siren again, but what was up with the short time where four siren speakers were on the rigs with no Q siren.

Stay safe, Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
[quote name='MFD 61 KS' post='295819' date='Apr 9 2009, 14:22 ']I know DFD is all Q siren again, but what was up with the short time where four siren speakers were on the rigs with no Q siren.

Stay safe, Rick[/quote]

Rick,

I'm really not sure why DFD did that. I'll do some asking and try to find out. The rigs without are TL1, TL9, TL27, E14, E21, E22 & E26
Toneslider, speaking of tillers is the Union Colony FRA's tiller in yet?

Thanks Johnny C.

[quote name='Toneslider12' post='295802' date='Apr 9 2009, 15:25 ']firepost,

Tower 4 is in fact a straight tower ladder, no water, no pump. It runs solo out of Station 4 and has since the 80's I think; years ago an Engine, Ladder & Rescue all ran out of 4's at the same time. It is somewhat unusual that a non-quint aerial would run alone but Engines 3, 6 & 1 are only blocks away. There has been talk about taking E3 OOS and moving it to E4 but I'm not sure how likely that is. During busy times like New Years an extra duty Engine is placed in service at 4's so the they don't run the wheels off the Tower.

Truck 2 is currently in a Smeal 75' Quint and is soon to be replaced by a 2009 Velocity 105' quint. 2's first due is rapidly growing, they currently cover several hundred single family homes, several apartment complexes, shopping centers, high rise commercial, high rise hotels and several miles of highway. They are the first due city rig to Denver International Airport also. The second due engines are somewhat far away by DFD standards, so T2 will take a line in when necessary. They prefer to operate it as a truck but its evaluated on a case by case basis. I wouldn't be surprised to see E2 added in the next 5-8 years.

Denver decided a long time ago to stop using telesqurts but front line rigs are on a 10-20 year replacement schedule depending on wear & tear. Station 10 will probably only have an Engine for a long time. Truck's 8, 15 & 26 are too close to justify another piece. A new station (35) is slated for Northfield Stapleton which could result in some apparatus moves up there. As far as 17's goes... your absolutely correct that they're isolated from the rest of city. Rarely did the squrts get used for anything other than engine or defensive duty and 17's is rather slow. I doubt we'll see a truck added at 17's now or anytime really. Truck 12 can make it there pretty fast and 4's or 9's isn't too far behind.

Denver became big on Tower Ladders in the 90's and I think they'll continue to use them. West Metro & South Metro are following the same concept which is nice to see. It's only an idea at this point but South Metro has talked about the next ladder replacement being tillers... we can only hope.

Great questions, thanks.[/quote]
Don't know if it's in yet. My source at UCFRA stated it should have been delivered in March or April. It was stated the it's a Pierce Velocity, no other forthcoming info at this time
It's been in service at Truck 1 for a couple months now. Big paint scheme change from before, they also purchased two Velocity Engines with the same new graphics. Photos by Richard

[quote name='Toneslider12' post='295951' date='Apr 9 2009, 20:40 ']It's been in service at Truck 1 for a couple months now. Big paint scheme change from before, they also purchased two Velocity Engines with the same new graphics. Photos by Richard

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46601]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46602]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46603]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46604][/quote]

Great looking rig, but why does it say "Greeley Fire Department" on the aerial? Is there a change in the naming of the Department (Greeley FD vs. Union Colony)?

I lived in Greeley from 1987 to 1990, and was very fond of the good looking white rigs (lots of ALF 900's/1000's and Century's) during that time.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
[quote name='Image7801' post='295956' date='Apr 9 2009, 23:12 ']Great looking rig, but why does it say "Greeley Fire Department" on the aerial? Is there a change in the naming of the Department (Greeley FD vs. Union Colony)?

I lived in Greeley from 1987 to 1990, and was very fond of the good looking white rigs (lots of ALF 900's/1000's and Century's) during that time.[/quote]

Isn't this the only Tiller in the state of CO. Love the new color.

Union Colony was Greeley Fire Department at one time just like Pouder was Ft. Collins Fire Deparment. I know in Ft. Collins they merged the City with a neighboring fire district to form the Pouder Fire Authorty. Great looking Tiller

stay Safe, Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
[quote name='Image7801' post='295956' date='Apr 9 2009, 22:12 ']Great looking rig, but why does it say "Greeley Fire Department" on the aerial? Is there a change in the naming of the Department (Greeley FD vs. Union Colony)?

I lived in Greeley from 1987 to 1990, and was very fond of the good looking white rigs (lots of ALF 900's/1000's and Century's) during that time.[/quote]

Long story short, the City of Greeley wants more say in the administration of the department. Therefore, in 2010 or 2011 the Union Colony Fire Authority will cease to exist and the Greeley Fire Department will be reconstituted. The area outside the City of Greeley that is currently served by the authority will be served by both mutual aid from GFD and a fire protection district, the name of the other district escapes me (Platte Valley??).

This information is based off memory and may contain errors, corrections welcome

Also, I believe that they are running an SVI squad that was the first piece delivered in the new color, although I think it's lettered as UCFRA.