Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denver Metro Fire Apparatus
[quote name='Image7801' post='304289' date='May 10 2009, 16:36 ']Hey - Great shots! I assume that makes a third tower and will not replace 12's? Since [the new] Station 10 is only a couple of miles north of 12's, will Tower 12 be moving? What about Rescue 10, will it be moving elsewhere, or stay at 10's?

Just curious.

John.[/quote]

Hi John,

West Metro is making some big changes, here's the south side organization now...

Station 12 - Engine 12, Tower 10, Medic 12

Station 13 - District Chief 3 (New), Engine 13, Medic 13

Station 14 - Engine 14 (New), Tower 14 (Former Tower 12)

When the new, massive Station 10 opens it will house...

District Chief 2, SaM 1, Engine 10, Tower 10, Medic 10 & Dive Rescue 2

Rescue 10 & Collapse Rescue 10 will move to Station 8, Tower 14 is a permanent move.
[quote name='Toneslider12' post='304293' date='May 10 2009, 15:59 ']Hi John,

West Metro is making some big changes, here's the south side organization now...

Rescue 10 & Collapse Rescue 10 will move to Station 8, Tower 14 is a permanent move.[/quote]

Thanks for the update! I had heard that Station 8 will be rebuilt, but in the meantime, it'll be pretty tight with two fully-manned companies running out of there...

I'm not surprised about the third District Chief. They had talked about that back when I left in 2000, so it's about time, with a District that's long and narrow like West Metro.

Regards,

John.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
From what Toneslider has told me, T12 is now at 14's and T10 is at 12's, for the time being. I don't know if any other units will be reassigned.
[quote name='Toneslider12' post='304027' date='May 9 2009, 20:54 ']South Metro just took delivery of twin Pierce Velocity Pumper/Tenders slated for Station 47 & 39. They are currently being outfitted at the department shops.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=44389]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=44381]

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=44777][/quote]

I saw these two Pumper-Tankers at the factory. These are nice and compact units and were well designed.
[quote name='Toneslider12' post='304293' date='May 10 2009, 15:59 ']Hi John,

Rescue 10 & Collapse Rescue 10 will move to Station 8, Tower 14 is a permanent move.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, what is Engine 13 running with now? I noticed that the '99 Quantum (former Engine 1?) was totaled on US285. Any details on the accident, or the one involving Squrt 12's ALF?

Just curious.

John.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Image7801' post='305337' date='May 14 2009, 20:34 ']Just out of curiosity, what is Engine 13 running with now? I noticed that the '99 Quantum (former Engine 1?) was totaled on US285. Any details on the accident, or the one involving Squrt 12's ALF?

Just curious.

John.[/quote]

Yeah, Engine 13 got drilled by a sedan on EB 285 near Highway 8 while "Successfully" blocking an accident scene. It was a rear impact and enough to total out the rig. The driver and passenger of the car were injured pretty badly and may have been cut out. No Firefighters were injured luckily. Although I haven't seen it, a fellow buff said they've been running in one of the old KME's. I thought they'd be in one of the older Dash's from 3s or 10s but I guess not.

The ALF Squrt was actually re-assigned as Squrt 14 for quite awhile before their accident occurred. I've heard they were SB on Kipiling during a nasty snow storm heading to C-470. Something happened in front of them at an intersection and the chauffeur didn't think they could stop without plowing into some cars... so he took it off road. They took out a fence and came to a hard stop against a tree in a residential yard. The crew had minor injuries and the driver nearly had to be extricated because of the intrusion.

Both rigs may still be at the shops, if they are I'll try to sneak over and take some photos.

I've got one for you, how many KME's did/does WMFR have? I've always thought it was only the two at 5's and 6's but there must be one or two more.
Louisville, Colorado Rescue Engine 2701, 2008 E\-One

Tower 2717, 2000 E\-One 105' aerial, 300 gallon tank.

Brush 2731

Medic 2723, 2008 Ford / Medtec

Training Officer

West Metro Fire Rescue Engine 3

Squrt 2

Medic 12

North Metro Engine 65

Sheridan Engine 52 with SFDProbie Chauffeuring

[quote name='Image7801' post='305337' date='May 14 2009, 22:34 ']Just out of curiosity, what is Engine 13 running with now? I noticed that the '99 Quantum (former Engine 1?) was totaled on US285. Any details on the accident, or the one involving Squrt 12's ALF?

Just curious.

John.[/quote]

I'm curious as well. Was it chevron equipped?
[quote name='WAGONMAN' post='305446' date='May 15 2009, 14:28 ']I'm curious as well. Was it chevron equipped?[/quote]

It wasn't completely covered with chevron but very similar to this...

West Metro Engine 1, Photo by Rick Luebke
[quote name='Toneslider12' post='305435' date='May 15 2009, 12:29 ']Yeah, Engine 13 got drilled by a sedan on EB 285 near Highway 8 while "Successfully" blocking an accident scene. It was a rear impact and enough to total out the rig. The driver and passenger of the car were injured pretty badly and may have been cut out. No Firefighters were injured luckily. Although I haven't seen it, a fellow buff said they've been running in one of the old KME's. I thought they'd be in one of the older Dash's from 3s or 10s but I guess not.

The ALF Squrt was actually re-assigned as Squrt 14 for quite awhile before their accident occurred. I've heard they were SB on Kipiling during a nasty snow storm heading to C-470. Something happened in front of them at an intersection and the chauffeur didn't think they could stop without plowing into some cars... so he took it off road. They took out a fence and came to a hard stop against a tree in a residential yard. The crew had minor injuries and the driver nearly had to be extricated because of the intrusion.

Both rigs may still be at the shops, if they are I'll try to sneak over and take some photos.

I've got one for you, how many KME's did/does WMFR have? I've always thought it was only the two at 5's and 6's but there must be one or two more.[/quote]

Hey Eric (correct?) - Thanks for the info. Any photos would be great - I live in AZ now, and only get up to CO once or twice a year, so I do try to keep up on West Metro. There were three KME's total. They were bought by the Lakewood FPD in 1991, right when Lakewood/Bancroft Combined Fire Authority was created. They were the first "modern" customs that Lakewood bought, to replace the Ford C/E-Ones, and the first rigs lettered for the LBCFA. If I recall, they originally ran as Engines 491, 493 and 494 (current Engines 1, 3 and 4). Engine 1 ran with the KME until the first Quantum was delivered in 1998 or 99 (which later went to 13's). That KME then went down to Engine 15 for a few years, until it was "replaced" by Roxborough's old E\-One (not sure why), then became a reserve. Engine 3 ran with theirs until 1994 or 95 when they got their Dash. As a matter of trivia, the 94 Dash rigs were originally delivered to Engines 6 and 10, but someone figured out that it would be much better served at Engine 3, since 6's was so slow of a company (at that time), so they traded. Engine 6 got the KME and 3's got the Dash (which many of the officers didn't like because the cabs were so tight). Engine 4 ran with their KME until the second Quantum was delivered in 99 or 2000 (I can't remember for sure). They then sent that one out to 5's, where it still is, I believe. I'm not surprised they're still running. One of the shop guys told me at one time that the only real problem they ever had was with the rubber air collar that went in between the front tilt-cab and the rear fixed part. Other than that, they weren't much trouble (of course I've been gone for 9 years). Hope that helps. Somewhere I have a photo of Engine 4 running down Alameda on a call, lettered for the LBCFA (try to fit that on a cab door!). I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers!

John.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Toneslider12' post='305502' date='May 15 2009, 15:41 ']It wasn't completely covered with chevron but very similar to this...

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=49326]

West Metro Engine 1, Photo by Rick Luebke[/quote]

If you're a Flickr member, there is a photo of the back of Engine 13's rig in the West Metro group (unfortunately I can't copy and paste it here). It was pretty well covered with the chevron pattern...
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Toneslider12' post='305435' date='May 15 2009, 12:29 ']Yeah, Engine 13 got drilled by a sedan on EB 285 near Highway 8 while "Successfully" blocking an accident scene. It was a rear impact and enough to total out the rig. The driver and passenger of the car were injured pretty badly and may have been cut out. No Firefighters were injured luckily. Although I haven't seen it, a fellow buff said they've been running in one of the old KME's. I thought they'd be in one of the older Dash's from 3s or 10s but I guess not.

I've got one for you, how many KME's did/does WMFR have? I've always thought it was only the two at 5's and 6's but there must be one or two more.[/quote]

That ALF/Becker telesqurt was a bit of a bast**d, if I recall. I'm not really sure why they bought it, in amongst the Pierce Dashes, Sabers and Quantums, but I seem to remember it had to go back to the factory at least once for problems with the frame...
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Some rigs I grabbed at a small job this morning...

Denver Fire Department District Chief 6 - NW Denver

Heavy Rescue Tower 9

Tower 4

Engine 7 with Tower 9 in the background

Engine 11 & The Rescue

Engine 11 & Tower 23

What's with the buckets on the Denver Towers ? They stowe them like that for preference ??